Amenities in Gatehouse of Fleet:
- a good range of restaurants and pubs
- useful local shopping with supermarkets open until late 7 days a week,
- Tourist Information Centre in season
- post office, bank,
- book and gift shops
Things to do in the area:
- Splendid walking in coastal and upland scenery: Fleet Valley National Scenic Area, SNH Cairnsmore of Fleet National Nature Reserve
- Good beaches for families and birdwatchers nearby
- Sea, loch and river fishing can be booked locally
- Challenging 9-hole golf course and public tennis courts
- Sustrans Route 7 passes half a mile to the West of the cottage. For mountain bikers, you are between two of the 7 stanes sites: Dalbeattie and Kirroughtree.
- Cream o’ Galloway, a local farm where ice cream is made is easy to reach and offers an exciting day out for all the family.
- Laggan Outdoor Activity centre for the adventurous and energetic.
Nearby towns: Several of Galloway’s distinctive towns are within easy reach:
- Kirkcudbright – the Artists’ Town has galleries, a museum and a harbour
- Castle Douglas – the renowned Food Town
- Newton Stewart – a thriving market town
- Wigtown – Scotland’s Book Town with 20 specialist book businesses and bird reserve
Whithorn– takes you back to medieval times and the dawn of Christianity in Scotland